|"The New Kid"|
|Air Date||August 31, 1997 (Sneak Peek)|
September 13, 1997
| Previous|| Next|
The New Kid is the second episode of Recess's first season.
TJ and the gang scheme to have recess come early. They succeed, but then they are greeted by a soldier who drops off his son, Gustav "Gus" Griswald, a new student. TJ and the others show him around, but then King Bob shows up and finds out he's the new kid, as per the code of the playground the last kid to transfer in becomes 'the new kid', and shall forever be known only as the new kid and nothing else.
Gus is then ostracised in his status, even by teachers and his family. TJ and the gang then take pity on him, and help him get his name back, until King Bob shows up again. Gus has had enough, and demands his name back, to which Bob does so, indifferently. Gus, now a part of the Recess Gang, celebrates, while the former new kid complains that he had to go though the new kid status for years. King Bob responds, "Hey, you didn't say anything."
- Gus makes his first appearance in this episode.
- Miss Grotke makes her first appearance in this episode, and is missing her overbite.
- When this episode originally aired in 1997, Ryan O'Donohue was the voice of Gus. After the episode's initial airing, Courtland Mead dubbed over his lines.
- When Miss Grotke calls on Willy during attendence, his hat is missing.
- Gordy makes his first appearance in the series, albeit unnamed.
- This episode was adapted for the Disney Chapters book collection in 1998.
- Gus's last name is spelt "Griswold" in this episode instead of "Griswald".
- This episode was included as a bonus on the Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade DVD and the VHS and DVD of the Finnish copy of Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
- When this episode aired as a sneak peek on August 31, 1997, this episode was shown before "The Break In".
- Ashley T. and Hustler Kid make their first appearances, albeit not speaking.
- During the attendence scene, the back of Ashley Q. can be seen, but she has dark brown hair and wears white. This could've been a prototype of her before she was finalized.
Foreign Dub TitlesEdit
Note - Some dubs keep the episode title in English.
- French: Le Nouveau ("New")
- German: Der Neue ("The New")
- Japanese: "新入りはつらいよ" ("Tough Being the Newcomer")
- Spanish: "El Niño Nuevo" ("The New Boy") (Spain)
- T.J. Detweiler - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Ricky D`Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli/Morris P. Hingle/Megan - Pamela Segall-Aldon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald (Original airing)/Kid #2/Kid #6/Kid #9 - Ryan O` Donohue
- Gus Griswald (Repeats) - Courtland Mead
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Lt. Griswald - Sam McMurray
- Bertha - Tress MacNeille
- Willy/Kid #1/Kid #3/Kid #8 - Michael Shulman
- Gordy/Kid #5 - Malachi Pearson
- Sixth Grader #1 - Erik von Detten
- Kid #4/Kid #7 - Francesca Smith