The Cell is the ninth episode of the Fifth Season and the ninety-eighth episode of the series.
SummaryEditFLASHBACKS TO A DARK TIME IN DAMON’S LIFE - Stefan continues to offer Katherine his support while trying to mask his own pain, until Caroline shows up with an unusual form of therapy. After trying to make amends with Caroline, Elena grows so concerned about Damon that she turns to Aaron for help. Later, when Damon tells Elena about a terrible ordeal in his past that he has kept secret for decades, she shares the disturbing information she just learned about her own family. Finally, Aaron decides on a desperate course of action after a conversation with Dr. Wes.
- There will be flashbacks of Damon set in the 1950s.
- Elena is captured along with Enzo.
- The first appearances of Dr. Whitmore, Dr. Wilson, Eliot and Enzo.
- We'll see a Salvatore relative we haven't seen in a very long time. 
- Caroline attempts to help Stefan with his PTSD her own way by bringing him the safe he was locked in.
- Caroline is upset with Elena about killing Jesse.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The Cell is the name of a 2000 science fiction psychological thriller directed by Tarsem Singh and starring Jennifer Lopez.
- The cell is a functional and structural unit in all living organisms.
- The cell could also refer to the holding cells where the Augustine test subjects are being held.
- The Cell is a song by Jandek.