| Percy Jackson & the Olympians:|
The Lightning Thief
Theatrical release poster
February 12, 2010
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (also known as Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief) is a 2010 fantasy film directed by Chris Columbus. The film is loosely based on The Lightning Thief, the first novel in the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series by Rick Riordan. It stars Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson alongside an ensemble cast that includes Brandon T. Jackson, Alexandra Daddario, Jake Abel, Rosario Dawson, Steve Coogan, Uma Thurman, Catherine Keener, Kevin McKidd, Sean Bean and Pierce Brosnan. It was released to theaters on February 12, 2010.
Zeus and Poseidon meet at a skyscraper, where Zeus reveals that his master lightning bolt is stolen and accuses Poseidon's demigod son Percy Jackson of the theft. Poseidon reminds him that Percy is unaware of his true identity, but Zeus declares that unless Percy returns the lightning bolt to Mount Olympus before the next summer solstice, war is waged. Percy is a seventeen-year-old teenager who appears to be dyslexic, but has a unique ability to stay underwater for a lengthy time. While on a school trip to the local museum, Percy is attacked by a Fury disguised as his substitute teacher, who demands the lightning bolt. Percy's best friend Grover Underwood and Latin teacher Mr. Brunner, both of whom appear disabled, help Percy and scare off the Fury. Upon learning of the Fury's reason for the attack, Mr. Brunner gives Percy a pen, tells him it is a powerful weapon, and has Grover take Percy and his mother Sally to Camp Half-Blood, leaving behind Sally's lazy husband Gabe Ugliano. However, the three are attacked by a minotaur that appears to kill Sally, who is unable to enter the camp. Grover tells Percy to use the pen, and Percy discovers that it is a sword, which he uses to fight the minotaur, without initial success. Percy kills the minotaur with its own horn then faints from shock.
Three days later, Percy wakes up in the camp. He learns that he is the son of Poseidon, that Grover is a disguised satyr and his protector, and that Mr. Brunner is the centaur Chiron, also initially disguised. Chiron suggests that Percy go to Mount Olympus to convince Zeus of his innocence. Percy begins training to use his demigod powers, which include water manipulation and using water to heal, and meets other demigods including Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, and Luke Castellan, son of Hermes. After assisting in a team exercise, Percy is visited by a fiery apparition of his uncle Hades, who reveals that Sally is with him in the Underworld and that he will return her safely if Percy hands over the lightning bolt. Defying Chiron's orders, Percy decided to go to the Underworld, joined by Grover and Annabeth. They visit Luke, who gives them a map showing three of Persephone's pearls that they can use to escape the Underworld, an old shield, and a pair of winged sneakers Luke stole from his father.
The trio heads out, locating the first pearl at an old garden center but encountering Medusa, who tries to kill them until decapitated by Percy; her head is taken with them for later use. They locate the second pearl in the Parthenon in Nashville, and Percy uses the winged shoes to take it from a statue of Athena. However, they are then confronted by the Hydra, which Grover petrifies using Medusa's head. The third pearl is located in Las Vegas in the Lotus Casino, where the three eat lotus flowers and forget their reason for being there. They stay in the casino for five days until Percy's dad Poseidon speaks in Percy's mind, helping Percy return to his senses. Percy then frees Grover and Annabeth from the effects of the flowers, and they flee, discovering that the casino is run by the Lotus-Eaters. With all three pearls in their possession, Percy, Grover, and Annabeth head into the Underworld, the portal to which is located in Hollywood.
In the Underworld they meet Hades and his wife Persephone. Though Percy tells Hades that he does not have the lightning bolt, Hades finds it hidden inside Luke's shield, revealing that Luke is the lightning thief. Persephone knocks Hades out with the lightning bolt to get back at him for imprisoning her with him for all eternity and hands the bolt to Percy. However, because they only have three pearls, Grover remains with Persephone to allow Percy's mother to leave. Percy, Annabeth, and Sally teleport to the Empire State Building but are attacked by Luke, who wants to destroy Mount Olympus to secure the demigods' place as the new rulers of the gods. After a fight across Manhattan, Percy defeats Luke and returns the lightning bolt to Zeus, who forgives Percy and allows Poseidon to briefly speak with his son. The film ends with Percy and Annabeth reuniting with Grover, who has grown horns (though only small ones), meaning he is a senior protector, and returning to the camp to continue their training.
In a post-credits scene, Gabe is being kicked out of Sally's house. He finds a note from Percy warning him not to open the fridge. Angrily ignoring it, he opens the fridge only to be petrified by Medusa's head.
- Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson, the demigod son of Poseidon
- Brandon T. Jackson as Grover Underwood, Percy's best friend, a satyr
- Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth Chase, the demigod daughter of Athena and Percy's romantic foil
- Jake Abel as Luke Castellan, the demigod son of Hermes
- Sean Bean as Zeus, Lord of the Sky, King of the twelve gods of Mount Olympus and brother of Poseidon and Hades. He blames Percy for stealing his bolt.
- Kevin McKidd as Poseidon, Percy's father, Lord of the Sea and brother of Zeus and Hades
- Steve Coogan as Hades, Lord of the Underworld and brother of Zeus and Poseidon
- Melina Kanakaredes as Athena, Annabeth's mother, goddess of wisdom, battle strategies, and justice
- Rosario Dawson as Persephone, goddess of springtime and wife of Hades
- Dylan Neal as Hermes, Luke's father, god of thieves, travelers, and messengers
- Erica Cerra as Hera, goddess of family, marriage, Queen of the twelve gods of Mount Olympus, sister and wife of Zeus
- Stefanie von Pfetten as Demeter, goddess of agriculture, sister of Zeus and mother of Persephone
- Dimitri Lekkos as Apollo, god of the sun, poetry, music, prophecy, and twin brother of Artemis
- Ona Grauer as Artemis, goddess of the moon, hunting, and twin sister of Apollo
- Serinda Swan as Aphrodite, goddess of love, beauty, and wife of Hephaestus
- Conrad Coates as Hephaestus, god of the forge and husband of Aphrodite
- Ray Winstone as Ares, god of war, lover of Aphrodite
- Luke Camilleri as Dionysus, god of wine
- Uma Thurman as Medusa, a gorgon cursed by Athena
- Pierce Brosnan as Chiron, a centaur who trains heroes at Camp Half-Blood
- Maria Olsen as Mrs. Dodds/Alecto, a Fury servant to Hades
- Julian Richings as Charon, ferryman of the River Styx
- Catherine Keener as Sally Jackson, Percy's mother
- Joe Pantoliano as Gabe Ugliano, Percy's stepfather