|Air Date||October 15, 2009|
|Directed By||Marcos Siega|
|Written By||Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec|
| Previous|| Next|
Lost Girls is the sixth episode of the first season and the series.
THE TRUTH CAN BE VERY, VERY DEADLY — Elena demands that Stefan explain the frightening events that have been happening in Mystic Falls. In a string of flashbacks, Stefan explains how his rivalry with Damon began back in the Civil War when they met the love of their lives Katherine, the vampire who was the one that sired both of them. In the present, Damon impulsively takes control of Vicki's future, and a confused and frightened Vicki runs away. Also, Sheriff Forbes, Mayor Lockwood, Logan and the others take drastic steps to protect their town.
- Antagonists: Damon and Katherine
- This is the first flashback episode.
- Elena learns the existence of vampires in this episode.
- This is the first episode with someone besides Damon functioning as an antagonist.
- This marks the first corporeal appearance in the series of Katherine. This episode also reveals that she's a vampire.
- This episode had 3.88 million viewers in the USA.
- Kevin Williamson originally didn't want to include flash back episodes, however Julie Plec brought him around to the idea, mainly because Nina Dobrev really wanted to portray Katherine Pierce.
- Caroline, Bonnie, Tyler and Jenna do not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode of the series that Caroline or Bonnie did not appear in.
- The game of Rugby was developed in England in the mid 1800s, but officially did not arrive to the USA until 1869 - 5 years later than Damon supposedly learned it from a fellow soldier... (History of Football )
- The Lost Boys, a 1987 comedy/horror film starring Kiefer Sutherland about two young Arizonan brothers who move to California and end up fighting a gang of teenage vampires. The title is a reference to the Lost Boys in J. M. Barrie's stories about Peter Pan and Neverland, where people remained forever young.
- Elena: Dear Diary, I am not a believer. People are born, they grow old and then they die. That's the world we live in. How can I deny what's right in front of me? Someone who never grows old, never gets hurt, someone who changes in ways that can't be explained, girls bitten, bodies drained of blood.
All italicized names represent quotes that occurred during the Flashbacks.
- Stefan: (to Elena) I would never hurt you, you're safe with me .
- Stefan: (to Elena) You can hate me, but I need you to trust me .
- Damon: I want my ring .
- Damon: You're the one that locked me in the basement and starved me, so whatever I've done, and whoever I've sucked dry is on you, buddy .
- Damon: What'd you Fed Ex'd it to Rome ?
- Damon: (to Vicki) You just don't wanna die, do ya ?
- Elena: When you Google vampire you get a world of fiction. What's reality ?
- Elena: I know you eat garlic .
- Stefan: Yes
- Elena: And somehow sunlight's not an issue .
- Stefan: We have rings that protect us .
- Elena: Crucifixes ?
- Stefan: Decorative .
- Elena: Holy water ?
- Stefan: Drinkable .
- Elena: Mirrors ?
- Stefan: Myth
- Sheriff Forbes: It tried to cover its tracks .
- Logan: Ar e you sure?
- Sheriff Forbes: I'm positive. You only burn a corpse when you try and hide cause of death and there are no shell casings.
- Damon: Where are you, Stefan? I'm trapped, at the house, and I'm getting really bored and really impatient and I don't do bored and impatient.
- Damon: (to a drained Vicki) Well you're not gonna be any fun today.
- Stefan: I've been 17 years old since 1864.
- Stefan: The Salvatore brothers; best friends.
- Katherine: Who needs rules?
- Damon: Why are you just standing there? That is a girl who clearly wants to be chased.
- Katherine: Now I'll have both of you here to keep me entertained.
- Katherine: The smart and kind Salvatore brothers both coming to my rescue, however will I choose?
- Stefan: That's the thing about Damon; he doesn't get mad... he just gets even.
- Vicki: Can I have another hit? That blood was so good.
- Damon: Only if I can.
- Stefan: What Damon wants, Damon usually gets.
- Stefan: (about Katherine) Turns out she wasn't ours to steal.
- Katherine: You have no idea of the future I have planned for us Stefan. You, me and Damon. No rules.
- Damon: I've been in love; it's painful, pointless and overrated.
- Damon: I think I know what can help you.
- Vicki: What's that?
- Damon: Death.
- Damon: You drank my blood, I killed you and now you have to feed to complete the process.
- Sheriff Forbes: You ever staked a vampire before?
- Logan: Have you ?
- Damon: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess, Stefan finally fessed up .
- Damon: May I come in? Oh wait, of course I can, I've been invited .
- Damon: Don't look at me with those judgey little eyes .
- Elena: (to Damon) Did you thank Katherine ?
- Damon: Oh, I doubt that .
- Damon: Tip for later; be careful who you invite in the house .
- Vicki: He said I have to feed. What will happen i f I don't ?
- Stefan: You'll fade quickly, and then it'll all just, be over .
- Vicki: (to Stefan) I wanna go home. Will you take me home?
- Damon: If anyone's gonna kill you it's gonna be me.
- Elena: I can't be with you, Stefan.