|"Iron, Forged in Fire Part 1"|
This is the first part of the pilot episode of the series. Written by Christopher Yost.
Inventor Howard Stark dies in a plane crash while investigating an ancient Chinese “Makluan ring”. His son, Tony Stark, barely survives the crash when the armored exo-suit which Tony designed and built himself implants in his chest a device to sustain his damaged heart. Obadiah Stane takes control of Howard’s company, Stark International, and begins weaponizing Stark’s inventions. Tony moves in with family friend James Rhodes and his parents, and begins attending school. There, he meets classmate Pepper Potts who informs Tony that Stane is under investigation by the FBI for possible involvement in Howard’s death. When Tony goes to investigate in his armored suit, he ends up preventing a runaway train from crashing into Stark Tower; the media calls him Iron Man. A shadowy figure called the Mandarin, wearing a second Makluan ring, vows to obtain the ring now in Stane’s possession.
- Tony Stark (Iron Man) (first appearance)
- James Rhodes (first appearance)
- Pepper Potts (first appearance)
- Howard Stark (first appearance)
- Roberta Rhodes (first appearance)
- Obadiah Stane (first appearance)
- Tricia (first appearance)
- Mandarin (first appearance)