|Air Date||November 12, 2009|
|Directed By||Marcos Siega|
|Written By||Bryan M. Holdman & Brian Young|
| Previous|| Next|
History Repeating is the ninth episode of the first season and the series.
STEFAN LEARNS THE REASON DAMON RETURNED TO MYSTIC FALLS — Jeremy gets a break from the mysterious new history teacher, Alaric Saltzman, and introduces Alaric to Jenna. Bonnie is having terrifying dreams about one of her ancestors. Despite Elena's efforts to smooth things over, Bonnie and Caroline continue to argue over the medallion. When the girls hold a seance to help them decide what to do, the results are stranger than any of them expected. Matt comes to Caroline's aid when she needs a friend. Damon finally reveals to Stefan the stunning reason he has returned to Mystic Falls.
- Antagonist: Damon
- Damon reveals that Katherine is alive.
- It is revealed that Bonnie's ancestor Emily was Katherine's handmaid and that witches can use celestial events (the comet) to draw energy into their magic.
- This episode is Bonnie-centric.
- This is the first appearance of Alaric Saltzman in the series.
- This episode had 4.10 million viewers in USA.
- Alaric Saltzman is seen wearing a mysterious ring that resembles Stefan and Damon's rings. It is later revealed to have different magical qualities than theirs in A Few Good Men.
- Ironically as a part of Jeremy's extra credit he has to do a report on the town but he can't do a Wiki search.
Damon: I got the town off our back, it was for the greater good, but I'm sorry! And to prove it I'm not going to feed off a human. For at least a...week. I'll adopt the Stefan diet, only nothing with feathers.
Stefan: (mimicking Damon) Yes, Stefan. And now that the "Secret Society of Vampire Haters" is off our back, I can go back to my routine of "How Can I Destroy Stefan's Life This Week?".
Damon: (mimicking Stefan) And I can go back to sulking, and Elena longing, and forehead brooding.
Stefan: (mimics Damon) So Stefan, you know, I've been thinking...I think we should start over, give this brother thing another chance. We used to do it "oh so well" once upon a time.
Damon: (mimics Stefan) I don't-- Damon. I can't trust you to be a nice guy, you kill everybody and you're so mean-- you're so mean and-- (normally) You're really hard to imitate and then I have to go to that lesser place.
Jeremy: Hey, Mr. Saltzman, I'm Jeremy Gilbert, you needed to see me?
Alaric: Did you know that your old teacher, had a jack-ass file? No joke. It's typed on the label, and it has all the trouble makers in it. But really its just a opus to you.