|"Friday Night Bites"|
|Air Date||September 24, 2009|
|Directed By||John Dahl|
|Written By||Barbie Kligman & Bryan M. Holdman|
| Previous|| Next|
Friday Night Bites is the third episode of the first season of the series.
MYSTIC FALLS IS ROCKED BY VIOLENCE — Elena tries to ignore Bonnie’s warnings about the disturbing vibes she got from Stefan. Tyler tries to embarrass Stefan by throwing a football at him, but Stefan effortlessly catches and passes the ball back, impressing everyone with his skill. Mr. Tanner reluctantly lets Stefan join the football team. Elena invites Stefan and Bonnie to dinner hoping that the two will bond, but the evening is disrupted by the unexpected and unwelcome arrival of Damon and Caroline. Finally, the town is shocked by an act of violence.
|Text in Bold and Italics are Diary entries/ voice over.
The episode starts with Caroline waking up after sleeping with Damon, she then discovers bite marks on her neck and tries to creep out of room before Damon hears her. She then looks back at the bed only to see Damon behind her and interrupts her attempt. Caroline in panic hits Damon's face with a lamp as self defense, then throws him the pillow with her blood making Damon thirsty and he attacks her again.
At school Bonnie tries to tell Elena to take it slow with Stefan after accidentally touching him and got a very bad vibe. This makes Elena curious of why Bonnie is saying these things after telling Elena to go for it. Though Elena tells Bonnie that Stefan is helping her cope whit every this that's been happening.
Meanwhile, Vicki is inviting Jeremy to a concert as friends, but in his frustration, he asks if she only slept with him for drugs which she does not answer. Back to Elena, as Stefan greets Elena and Bonnie he notices Bonnie’s quick exit. Stefan tells Elena that "she doesn't like me very much", in which Elena responds "she doesn't know you".
Tyler picks on Matt for his lack of action as Elena and Stefan grow noticeably closer to each other. Wanting to encourage a friendship between Stefan and Bonnie, Elena invites Stefan to have dinner at her house with Bonnie. Matt says to Tyler that Elena made her choice which he responds "let her know she made the wrong one". Tyler then throws a football at Stefan’s head in an attempt to make a fool out of him, Stefan neatly catches it, surprising everyone, he then throws it back to Tyler. At the hallway Elena suggests that Stefan join the football team in order to make friends in school. Stefan expresses his love for football though he thinks that football doesn't like him because of Tyler and Matt.
During History class where Bonnie is scribbling numbers on her book while Mr. Tanner asks the class when WW2 ended. Stefan then answers for Elena claiming he is good with dates, Mr. Tannar decides to test Stefan asking him the years of different historical events. When it came to the last question Mr. Tanner says that Stefan is wrong only to be embarrassed when Stefan did say the right answer . Back at the hallway Elena asks how Stefan knew all that, which he responds with to Elena that he has had years and years of crossword puzzles.
At football practice where Stefan considers joining the football team while seating on the bleachers. Elena, at cheerleading practice, insists that Bonnie come to dinner with her and Stefan, which Bonnie reluctantly agrees. Mr. Tanner ungenerously agrees to let Stefan try out for the team. Matt is then jealous and says "first my girl friend, now my team". Tyler insist that they attack Stefan. Caroline is dropped off at cheerleading practice by Damon. Which Bonnie finds out to be Stefan's brother. Elena has difficulty keeping up at cheerleading practice so Caroline tells her to "just observe today". Stefan impresses everyone with his football skills at practice, especially Mr. Tanner. Regretting his involvement in Tyler’s plan to embarrass Stefan during practice, Matt apologizes. Stefan then takes of his gloves and reveals a dislocated pinky, which he relocates without pain.
Damon antagonizes Stefan by reading his journal and taunting him regarding Elena. Damon then goes off on a date with Caroline. While preparing dinner, Bonnie tells Elena that she keeps seeing the numbers eight, 14, and 22, but Elena mockingly says "maybe we should play the lottery. Elena then looks for serving spoons which Bonnie tells her "middle drawer on the left" and she was right. Bonnie then test herself by saying birthday candles and opening the drawer to find birthday candles. Dinner is awkward until Stefan tells Bonnie that her family heritage of witches is something to be proud of. Caroline and Damon arrive unexpectedly, Stefan tries to stop Elena from inviting Damon in. Stefan then bothered when Elena does invites Damon into her house.
During the evening’s conversation, Damon makes a puzzling comment referencing their past with Katherine. The scene then cuts to the Mystic Grill, Matt attempts to connect with Jeremy over how difficult Vicki can be, and Tyler and Jeremy get into a shoving match over her. Back at Elena's home Elena guesses that Damon also loved Katherine by asking him "which one of you dated her first", surprising him by expressing her sympathy for him having lost her too. Bonnie then interrupts them. Stefan asks Caroline to take her scarf off though she can't after being compelled by Damon. Damon walks in on them and asks Caroline to help Bonnie and Elena with the dishes. Stefan then confirms his suspicion that Damon is feeding off of Caroline and attempts to convince him that humans are not to be used for his amusement; Damon counters by reminding him that he has been invited into Elena’s house he then taunts Stefan that he'll come every night and will do whatever he wants to do with Elena. Later that night Damon invades one of Elena’s dreams and turns it into a nightmare, which she wakes up from.
The next day Elena contemplates whether or not to quit cheerleading. Stefan writes in his journal There must be a shred of humanity left inside my brother, somewhere, I keep hoping, but how do I make him see it? And how do I protect her? . At the football game, Elena tells Stefan that she quit the cheerleading squad, and Stefan gives her a necklace with vervain in it. Prior to the game, Mr. Tanner gives a pep talk that highlights Stefan’s talents, irritating Tyler. A fight then ensues between Tyler and a drunken Jeremy, and when Stefan attempts to break it up, his hand is cut by Jeremy. After checking on Jeremy, Elena is confused when Stefan’s hand shows no sign of a wound after she clearly saw Stefan's hand get cut.
An anxious, Elena questions Bonnie about the strange feeling she got when she touched Stefan, and Bonnie tells her that it felt like death to her. Damon attempts to compel Elena, and when he tries to kiss her, she slaps him in the face and reminds him that she is not Katherine. Matt expresses his appreciation for Stefan having helped Jeremy and apologizes for his previous behavior towards him. Outside the locker room, Damon confronts Stefan and threatens to harm Elena, and in an attempt to prove his lack of humanity to his brother he kills Mr. Tanner.After putting Tyler in his place, Matt leaves the locker room and discovers Tanner’s body. As the ambulance takes the body away, Bonnie watches on in shock when she sees a sign on the building that says "BLGD 8", the number 14 on a license plate, and parking space 22. Vicki finds Jeremy under the bleachers and gives him the answer from his earlier question; that she did not sleep with him just for the drugs. Elena is confused and upset by the evening’s events, and Stefan assures her that they will be fine. Stefan writes in his journal I thought there was hope. That somewhere deep inside, something in Damon was still human, normal. As the voice over continues, the then scene cuts to Damon watching Elena sleep, but leaves just as she awakens. But I was wrong. There's nothing human left in Damon. No good, no kindness, no love. Only a monster... who must be stopped.
- Antagonist: Damon
- Caroline is shown to have a small star tattoo on the outside of her right foot.
- First appearance of Caroline's scarves.
- First appearance of Elena's vervain necklace.
- Bonnie's numbers; 8, 14 and 22, are shown to be a building number (8), a license plate (14) and a parking space (22)
- When Elena brings up Bonnie's heritage as a witch to Stefan, he mentions witches who are descended from Celtic druids. Bonnie McCullough, the novel character Bonnie Bennett is created from, is descended from druids, but Bonnie is from Salem witches.
- This episode had 3.81 million viewers in USA.
- Jenna Sommers doesn't appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode in the series in which a regular character does not appear.
- Friday Night Lights, a book by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist H.G. Bissinger about the devotion to high school football in Odessa, Texas. It was subsequently adapted into a film and then a TV series.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, a 19th century American philosopher, essayist, and poet, best known for his dedication to Transcendentalism.
- Stefan: There must be a shred of humanity left inside my brother, somewhere, I keep hoping, but how do I make him see it? And how do I protect her?
- Stefan: I thought there was hope. That somewhere deep inside, something in Damon was still human, normal. But I was wrong. There's nothing human left in Damon. No good, no kindness, no love. Only a monster... who must be stopped.
- Damon: "This could've gone a completely different way."
- Bonnie: "I'm not saying don't date the guy, I'm just saying take it slow."
Elena: "Why the about face?"
Bonnie: " You're single for the first time in your high school career. It's the perfect time to play the field."
Elena: "Oh, because I am so that girl."
- Bonnie: "This is me expressing concern about my best friend's new boyfriend."
- Jeremy: "Tell me something, was it the drugs? Were you sleeping with me because of the drugs?"
- Tyler: "Oh look, there's Elena and her new boyfriend. And what are they doing? Oh they're walking, walking, walking, look they're walking right into the sunset."
- Matt: "What am I supposed to do, Ty? She made her choice."
Tyler: "Let her know she made the wrong one."
- Stefan: "I love football, I think it's a great sport. In this case, I don't think football likes me."
- Elena: "They don't know you. To them you're mysterious loner guy. Wouldn't hurt to be a part of, make some friends."
Stefan: "Says the girl who spends her alone time, writing in a cemetery."
- Elena: "There's more to me than just gloomy, graveyard girl. There's a whole other Elena that you have yet to meet. She was into everything; very busy."
Stefan: "Well I look forward to meeting her. And when will that be?"
Elena: "Soon. She's working on it."
- Mr. Tanner: "Miss Gilbert?"
Mr. Tanner: "Pearl Harbor?"
Stefan: "December 7, 1941."
Mr. Tanner: "Thank you, Ms. Gilbert."
- Stefan: "I'm good with dates, sir."
- Mr. Tanner: "Are you? Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act."
- Stefan: "1964."
- Mr. Tanner: "John F. Kennedy assassination."
- Mr. Tanner:" Martin Luther King."
- Mr. Tanner: Lincoln."
- Mr. Tanner: " Roe vs. Wade."
- Stefan: "1973."
- Mr. Tanner:" Brown vs. Board."
- Mr. Tanner:"The Battle of Gettysburg."
- Mr. Tanner:"Korean War."
- Stefan:"1950 to 1953."
- Mr. Tanner:"Ha! It ended in '52."
- Stefan: "Uh, actually sir, it was '53"
- Mr. Tanner: "Look it up, somebody. Quickly!"
- Student:"It was... 1953."
- Elena: "How did you know all that?"
Stefan: "Years and years of crossword puzzles. It's a loner thing."
- Mr. Tanner: "Mr. Lockwood, is there anything you're good at? Cause it isn't history and it sure as hell isn't defending the ball!"
- Elena: "I can't be sad girl forever. The only way to get things back to the way they were are to do things that were."
- Mr. Tanner: "Varsity tryouts were last spring, Mr. Salvatore."
Stefan: "I wasn't here last spring, sir."
Mr. Tanner: "And you're not here now as far as I'm concerned."
- Tyler: "Football's a contact sport. Sometimes people get hurt."
- Bonnie: "That must be the mystery guy from the Grill."
Elena: "That's not a mystery guy. That's Damon Salvatore."
- Caroline: "I got the other brother. Hope you don't mind."
- Caroline: "Elena? Sweetie? Why don't you just observe today, ‘kay?"
- Matt: "Hate to say it but he's got skills."
- Tyler: "You don't get to walk on the field and act like you own the place after five minutes."
- Damon: "How were tryouts? Did you make the team?"
- Damon: "Very Emerson, the way you reveal your soul, so many... adjectives."
- Damon: "I can learn to be a non-living, living person."
- Damon: "B.T.W. - that meas "by the way".
- Damon: "Ooh, that reminds me. Gotta run, I've got a date. Sweaty palms, wish me luck."
- Bonnie: "Today I'm obsessed with numbers. Three numbers. I keep seeing 8, 14, and 22. How weird is that?"
Elena: "I maybe we should play the lottery."
- Bonnie: "My family came by way of Salem."
- Stefan: "Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and non-conformity."
- Caroline: "I don't know how you're ever gonna learn the routines."
Bonnie: "I'll work with her, she'll get it."
Caroline: "I guess we could put her in the back."
- Caroline: "Oh, it's just ‘cause her parents died, yeah, I mean she's just totally going through a blah phase, she used to be way more fun... And, I say that with complete sensitivity."
- Matt: "She's my sister and I love her. But sometimes she can really make you work for it."
Jeremy: "I find it pretty easy."
- Tyler: "I don't need to impress her. I already won."
- Damon: "You make Stefan smile, which is something I haven't seen in a very long time."
- Elena: "What was she like?"
Damon: "She was beautiful, a lot like you in that department. She was also very complicated and selfish and at times not very kind but very sexy and seductive."
Elena: "So which one of you dated her first?"
- Damon: "I'd quit cheer leading if I were you."
Elena: "Why do you say that?"
Damon: "Oh, I saw you at practice, you looked miserable."
- Elena: "Everything that used to matter doesn't anymore."
Damon: "So don't let it. Quit, move on, problem solved, ta da."
- Elena: "I'm sorry. About Katherine. You lost her too."
- Stefan: "They are people, Damon. She's not a puppet, she doesn't exist for your amusement, for you to feed on whenever you want to."
Damon: "Sure, she does. They all do. They're whatever I want them to do. They're mine for the taking."
- Stefan: "Now it's time for you to go."
Damon: "That's not a problem, because I've been invited in. And I'll come back tomorrow night and the following night, and I'll do with your little cheerleader, whatever I want to do. Because that is what is normal to me."
- Elena: "I quit. I'm a quitter."
- Stefan: "I hope you don't think this is too soon, or too weird, but I wanted you to have this."
- Bonnie: "When I touched Stefan it was a feeling and it vibrated through me and it was cold and..."
Elena: "And what?"
Bonnie: "It was death."
- Damon: (whispering) "I'm hiding from Caroline."
- Damon: "I don't see it going anywhere in the big picture; I think she would drive me crazy."
- Damon: "I'd'nt that nice, Stefan joins the team, makes a friend. It's also "rah, rah, go team, yeah!".
- Damon: "Nice trick with Elena. Let me guess, vervain in the necklace."
- Damon: "I'll admit I was a bit surprised. It's been a while since anyone could resist my compulsion."
- Damon: "Guess I could just seduce her the old fashioned way, or I could just... eat her."
- Stefan: "No, you're not gonna hurt her, Damon."
Stefan: "Because deep down inside there is a part of you, that feels for her. I was worried that you had no humanity left inside of you. That you may have actually become the monster that you pretend to be."
Damon: "Who's pretending?"
Stefan: "Then kill me."
Damon: "Well, I'm – I'm tempted."
Stefan: "No, you're not, you've had lifetimes to do it and yet here I am. I'm still alive and there you are, you're still haunting me after 145 years. Katherine is dead. And you hate me, because you loved her, and you torture me because you still do. And that, my brother, that is your humanity."
- Damon: "If that's my humanity, than what's this? (attacks and kills Mr. Tanner)"
- Damon: "Anyone, anytime, anyplace."
- Tyler: "What's your problem?"
Matt: "What's my – you're my problem! You're a bully. A friggin' twelve year old bully man and I'm sick of it. I mean what was that about tonight huh? What's beating up the new guy gonna prove? Or screwing with my sister? Or pummeling my girlfriend's kid brother"
Tyler: "Girlfriend? Look, I don't know how to tell you this but she dumped your ass."
- Matt: "This was over the line. Even for you."
- Vicki: "It wasn't just for the drugs."
- Stefan: "I'm fine. We're fine. That's what matters."