|"Brave New World"|
|Air Date||September 16, 2010|
|Directed By||John Dahl|
|Written By||Brian Young|
| Previous|| Next|
Brave New World is the second episode of the Second Season and the twenty-fourth episode in the series.
THE CARNIVAL FROM HELL — When a confused and desperate Caroline leaves the hospital and joins her friends at the Mystic Falls Carnival Damon wants to take immediate action, but Stefan and Elena come to Caroline’s defense. Matt is completely mystified by Caroline's behavior, but still tries to tell her about his feelings for her. Damon has suspicions about Tyler's Uncle Template:Mason and uses Tyler’s volatile personality in an attempt to get Mason to reveal his secret. Upset with everything going on around her, Bonnie takes her anger out on Damon.
|The episode starts off with Caroline. Confused, she gets up and leaves her hospital room. A nurse tells her to go back in her room but instead, she goes into a room where she smells blood from a blood transfusion bag and steals it. She drinks the blood and transitions into a vampire.
Elena still hates Damon for trying to kill Jeremy and doesn't want to hear anything about vampires for the moment. She wants everything to be normal and to spend time with Stefan. In the Lockwood's, Carol asks Damon to spearhead the council which he agrees to. Meanwhile, Caroline asks Matt if she can be released by the evening but Matt says she can leave the next day. Scared of the sun, she unconsciously compels the nurse to let her out in the evening.
In the carnival event, Damon watches Tyler and Mason arm wrestle and suggests Stefan to challenge Mason. Surprised that Stefan loses, he begins to doubt what the Lockwood's could be. So, he compels a person to pick a fight with Tyler. On the other hand, Caroline shows up in the carnival, delivers Katherine's message to Damon and reveals that she's a vampire.
In the parking lot, Stefan watches the compelled man fight with Tyler but Mason intervenes, helping Tyler. Mason crouches and jumps with an amazing speed and Tyler sees the color of his eyes change. Meanwhile, Damon shares his newfound information about Caroline with Stefan and Elena and suggests to kill her.
Damon finds Caroline crying, blood all over her face and a dead man at her side. Caroline begs for her life Damon comforts her while holding a stake to stab her back. Stefan appears to rescue and Elena comes in the way when Damon is about to stake Caroline again. Bonnie arrives seeing a dead person and a vampire Caroline. He blames Damon since it was his blood that changed her. Elena stops Bonnie and comforts her away from Damon.
Stefan teaches Caroline how to control her hunger. Matt sneaks in Caroline's house asking why she has been acting so weird around him and confesses he loves her. Stefan goes to Elena's room and takes her out to the ferris wheel a little before dawn so he can fulfill her wish of kissing him on top of the ferris wheel. The episode ends with him telling her the days to come won't be easy for anyone of them.
- Antagonist: Damon
- This is the first episode since History Repeating to feature Damon as the main antagonist.
- This episode is Caroline-centric.
- Caroline becomes the second main female character to turn into a vampire, after Vicki.
- Vicki is mentioned by Damon. She was last seen in Haunted.
- Stefan jokes about the Lockwood's being werewolves in this episode. It is later confirmed that they are indeed part of the werewolf gene lineage.
Behind The Scenes
- This episode had 3.04 million viewers in USA.
- The series finale of NBC's TV show Heroes had the same name. It also involves a carnival.
- Katherine, Jenna and Alaric don't appear in this episode.
- Mason meets Stefan in this episode.
- When Stefan arm wrestles Mason and loses he tells Damon that Mason and Tyler could be Ninja Turtles. This is a reference to the 1980s franchise Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who were a band of humanoid turtles that fought crime.
- Brave New World is a novel by Aldous Huxley, first published in 1932. The title is derived from Shakespeare's The Tempest (play).
- Jacob is character in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga
- Bart and Homer are characters in The Simpsons.
- Elena: I'm human and I have to do human stuff, otherwise I'll go crazy.
- Bonnie: We have to make Caroline proud or she will kill us.
- Jeremy: I was killed by a vampire and brought back by a magic ring. How do you move forward from that?
- Template:Mason: Is there a pattern? Like, once a month, only at night?
- Damon: Aren't you worried that one day all the forest animals are gonna band together and fight back? I mean surely they do talk.
- Stefan: I'm just happy that's a, um, a blood bag and not a sorority girl supplying your dinner.
- Bonnie: The ring toss is out of Bart and Homer dolls and "Team Jacob" Ts.
- Stefan: Maybe they're ninja turtles.
Damon: You're not funny.
Stefan: Or no, zombies, werewolves.
Damon: No comedic timing at all.
- Damon: Need I remind you of a tragic little story of a girl named Vicki Donovan.
Caroline of all people will not make it as a vampire. Her mother's a vampire hunter.
Guys, come on, we all know how this story ends, so let's just flip to the last chapter and …
- Elena: Nothing about my life is normal. My best friend is a witch, boyfriend's a vampire and I have a doppelgänger who's hell-bent on destroying all of us.
- Damon: My father hated vampires too. Same reason your dad did. Only it was 1864. People knew how to whittle.